By the time your child enters 7th grade, for ELA, he/she should be able to:
- Identify the basic parts of speech and understand how they are used in a sentence:
- noun as subject and object
- adjective and adverb
- Be able to construct a basic paragraph, including a strong topic sentence, supporting sentences, and a concluding, or closing, sentence. They should be able to use effective transition words, descriptive language, and be able to support their statements using either text evidence or personal experiences/examples. They should be able to construct a strong thesis as well in order to support their viewpoint.
- Understand the importance of critical, engaged reading for a deeper understanding of material. Students should be actively reading, asking questions as they read, and making annotations.
- Student will record homework in Home Work book and be responsible for its completion.
- Student will understand that they are ultimately responsible for his/her own academic success which includes turning work in on time, making work up as needed, studying as needed, asking questions as needed, and respecting his/her classmates.